Benefits of Heat and Massage: A Guide From Equilibrium
Heat and massage are both commonly used to help our horses perform at their best. But how do they help? We have received a useful guide from Equilibrium explaining the benefits of heat and massage - read on to discover more.
The Benefits of Heat
Heat is a great alternative for sensitive horses who may find massage too much to begin with. Equally, its great to use alongside massage for helping to keep muscles in top condition. Best used as part of your daily routine alongside training to reap the most benefit!
Firstly, heat encourages muscles to relax, which can help your horse achieve better flexibility and freer joint movement – helping your horse’s mobility in general.
Heat also leads to increased metabolic activity, meaning that the muscles are more efficient in demanding more oxygen, while quickly removing waste products. Overall, this can help aid recovery and means more oxygen and nutrients are available of the muscle cells.
Research shows that for an effect, tissue temperature needs to increase by at least 3 to 5°C from the resting temperature (Bockstahler et al, 2004). It should be noted though however, that using something that it too hot could cause your horse discomfort and even damage to the tissue.
Heat is ideal for horses:
- Older horses.
- Horses that are slow to warm up.
- Horses in work.
- Young horses who are learning new things.
- Horses undergoing retraining.
- Those returning to work after a period of rest.
The Benefits of Massage
Tension is often one of the most common reasons for poor performance in horses. By increasing relaxation and improving back flexibility, the negative effects of tension can be reduced.
Massage is well known for its ‘feel good’ factor and has been shown to aid relaxation and assist with the maintenance of healthy muscle and muscle function. A relaxed horse, with relaxed muscles, will move with fluidity and suppleness.
Massage is great to help horses:
- Horses on box rest to maintain good circulation.
- After exercise to help support recovery.
- Before exercise as part of warm up.
- At a show after travelling to relax.
- On your horse or pony’s day off as general maintenance.
- Anytime as a reward.
Massage and Heat Product for Your Horse
Combining two types of massage, with three intensities, and heat settings to aid relaxation and soothe your horses’ muscles. The Hotspot can be used to target any muscle on your horse, including the neck, shoulder, hindquarters and hamstrings. Better yet, its easy to wipe down and clean so you can use it on yourself too! Tested to increase skin temperature by 8.7 degrees Celsius on average, the Hotspot provides reliable and repeatable heat.
- Allows you to tailor your session – pick from heat and 2 different types of massage.
- Fits into your daily routine with a 10-minute programme.
- Means you can reach any muscle.
- Is battery operated to take it with you wherever you go
12 April 2022